Thursday, July 12, 2007

Evolution of a Picky Eater

It's no secret that Gary is an extremely picky eater. And, it's no secret that he got that from me. It's also probably no real surprise, if you've shared meal-time with us, that I probably fuel his terrible eating habits...a little. Last night, even I was shocked! Before going to church, I offered him and Landon left over Johnnie's pizza. Landon was much obliged to eat, as usual. Gary picked out the most perfect piece of the remaining three and said he'd rather have it cold. That I can understand. (It doesn't get much better than cold pizza!) I took it from the box, placed it on his plate and asked him to take it to the table. He took one look and said, "I'm not eating it!" put the plate on the stove and looked at me. I asked, "Why?" to which he just pointed to the slice; the perfect slice of cold deep-dish Johnnie's Cheese Pizza that he had just chosen six seconds ago! "What's wrong with it?" I was quickly losing patience!! In a calm but serious voice he replied, "The cheese is cracked." I could not believe what my ears had just heard. Apparently, when I pulled the slice from the others, the cheese separated right across the middle and exposed a hint of pizza sauce. It was no longer edible! Landon had his pizza with a smile.

Gary went to church without supper and finally decided on a hot dog about 9:00 pm. I microwaved his all-beef dog, nestled it in a bun (bun must not have torn edges) and called him to the table....three times. Landon finally came from the playroom, where they had all been watching, "The Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift...Extra Scenes, Drifting School." Gary's perfect hot dog was getting cold (which is also a no-no) so I offered it to Landon. Just as he was munching the first bite, Gary rounded the corner, saw the bite gone from HIS hot dog and had a complete melt down. Landon just smiled and took another bite. We did fix Gary another one and he finally pulled himself together enough to eat. I thought this "picky" thing was supposed to get better with age, but he's progressing backwards! Would that make it digressing? Anyway, any tips to encourage him to eat would be greatly appreciated!!

By the way, letting him go hungry is not an option. He'll skip an entire day's worth of food if there isn't anything he likes.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I have a similar story to compound your "baffleism" (not a word)about Gary's eating habits...Over the weekend Gary had pepperoni pizza at my house...WELL ALMOST, after I fixed it placed it in front of him he exclaimed..."I'm not eating that" I said "why not"? low and behold, the pepperoni was diced up and not whole and apparantly that's the only way he'll eat peperoni pizza...as for suggestions(After a day or 2 of going without food - he'll eventually get hungry enough to eat what's available! Love Love

Tasha said...

Jaycie is a very picky eater, too. She either eats with us or does without. I do try to find one thing she will eat WHEN I fix food. Jaycie wont even eat mac and cheese, who doesnt eat that! No wonder Jaycie LOVES Gary soooooo much!

Robert Thompson said...

Tell him Mr. Robert cooked it and he should try it..