Monday, December 1, 2008

Mouse Trap

Landon's teacher shared the funniest story about him and the computer. Apparently when it became his turn to start the computer story, he had the mouse up in the air trying to "click" the monitor with it. By the time she was finished, we were both in tears! Anyway, I didn't even realize that he was "behind" the other kids in his class with his computer skills - or obvious lack of. Over the Thanksgiving break, we had a lesson and found some games he enjoys playing that will increase his computer fluency. I let him sit in my lap at the 'puter and placed my hand over his on the mouse until he got the hang of the buttons. I never left his side, as he got pretty frustrated if he hit the wrong button and it didn't do what it was supposed to. If you have a toddler/preschooler age child, I've started a new column of free online games. They are extremely elementary, but remember that they love repetition AND they love to be successful, especially when learning a new task. If you find that a link doesn't work or would like to share some other links, please email me or leave a comment and I'll update the list. The following is plagiarized from an online source (I can't remember which one) but it explains some of the importance of toddler computer experience. And trust me, you don't want your kid to be the only one in the class who doesn't know how to start the story!

Toddlers are on a huge learning curve and have many skills that they can be developing online, even while they are having fun! Online toddler games generally involve-

Hand-eye co-ordination- using the mouse to catch moving objects

Problem solving- puzzles, matching pairs, learning about opposites
Recognition- colors, shapes, sounds, animals
Social/interactive fun- singing, rhyming, ABC's, stories


Online toddler games will be helping your child to develop keyboard skills as well as the ability to use the mouse effectively, but be patient, if it is your child's first attempt at using a computer they will need some time. A mouse is a tricky new tool to learn to use, especially if it has multiple buttons. But look out, once they have the hang of it there will be no stopping them!

3 comments:

Donna Kay said...

Sorry, I haven't been in blogland in a while, neither to post or visit!! I got a little caught up today with you....love your Christmas "decorations" on the blog - looks great!! They really should make a movie of your life - your boys just kill me....I can't wait till Cason says and does stuff like that...of course, I don't have to live with him either!!!
Love ya!!

Amanda said...

The the scenery at your blog! Where DO you come up with things?

The Wilsons said...

See previous post re: Christmas Candy...
-Annie