Friday, February 20, 2009

Coupon Queen

A lady on FoxNews this week, inspired me to start using coupons. She WAS blogging her $1500/year challenge, but had negative feedback from some less than impressed folks (probably CNN watching democrats!) so she deleted her blog. Regardless, following her for a couple of days was enough to get me excited about saving money. I printed a lot of coupons online, clipped from the Sunday paper, and took advantage of Brookshire's Moonlight Madness sale yesterday. My total savings were about $40 off what would have been a $98 shopping trip! That's exciting!!! I don't have time to recount the entire event, but can't skip bragging about: $.35 box of bandaids-used Brookshires paper's $1.00 off any health/beauty item to discount a $1.35 box of bandaids; and two cans of Del Monte corn - $.99 reg. price minus a $.75 coupon for each left me with two cans of corn @ $.24/ea.; lastly I had a $.30 coupon for Downy liquid fabric softener that qualified for tripling. I usually pay around $6 for it at the dollar store but Brookshire's a certain scent (Violets and Roses) on clearance for $3.34. Subtract $.90 for the tripled coupon and I walked away with a $6 bottle of downy for $2.44!!! I didn't get anything for "free", but I have to leave something for next time's goal. Happy shopping and happy coupon clipping! Please leave any hints you may have as I'm new to this game :)

5 comments:

Beth said...

okay!! Now I am inspired!! I try to use, but ALWAYS forget I have them with me!! Chance's gram uses them faithfully -- tha's the only reason she gets the paper -- Maybe if I plan my list better along with the coupons!!

Donna Kay said...

Girl, I am soooo proud of you. I am sick to hear she isn't blogging anymore - we cannot just bow out of life because of mean-spirited people...I hope God touches them...REAL HARD!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky. Down here in MS we don't have a store that doubles. Even so I still usually have anywhere from $10 to $30 in coupons, and wow if I could get those doubled.LOL!If you know of any good coupon sites let me know. Niya and I have a freebie site that emails us and I'll key in the kid's names and they love checking the mail box and finding snack samples and coupons sent to them free.
Wendy

Amanda said...

You are too computer savvy to still have Christmas balls for a backdrop! Show us some EASTER stuff!

Amanda said...

We need an update please...and get rid of those ORNAMENTS!